1-day classroom workshops address the latest research underpinning the management of feathertop Rhodes grass, providing growers and advisers with the knowledge to tackle this complex weed problem in the northern farming system.
Research has consistently shown that a ‘wait and react’ strategy (using post-emergent herbicides only) is generally ineffective. Successful programs typically require an integrated approach that combines farm hygiene, pre-emergent herbicides, competition, well targeted post-emergent herbicides and, in many situations, targeted tillage. For many growers, this weed has the potential to force significant changes to farm operations should it be allowed to become established.
The silver lining is that, with aggressive intervention, paddocks can be bought back under control relatively quickly i.e. within a couple of summers.
Workshop content will focus on
- Understanding of feathertop Rhodes grass ecology and biology and how this influences proliferation, including how we can exploit the plants weaknesses when designing our management approach.
- Herbicide tolerance and resistance
- Management tactics
- Farm hygiene
- Crop competition and crop sequencing
- Double knock and in-crop post-emergent herbicides
- Pre-emergent herbicides and where to use them
- Optical sprayers
- Targeted tillage
- Pulling it all together in a management plan.
Dates and locations for workshops for 2021/22
- Walgett - POSTPONED DATE TBA
- Gunnedah - POSTPONED DATE TBA
- Narromine - POSTPONED DATE TBA
- Condobolin - POSTPONED DATE TBA
- Griffith - POSTPONED DATE TBA
- West Wyalong - POSTPONED DATE TBA
- Cootamundra - POSTPONED DATE TBA
For further information contact Mark Congreve, 0427 209 234 or Erica McKay, 0417 063 036
There is no cost to participate in these workshops.
Workshops will run from 8:30am - 4pm
These GRDC sponsored workshops are free of charge to growers and advisers however participant numbers will be strictly limited due to Covid-19 venue requirements. Registrations will be accepted on a first come basis.
If you would like to register multiple people from the same organisation, please contact us for a group booking. Email: Erica McKay email@example.com